top of page
  • Writer's pictureJanice Gill

Navigating the Maze of Mental Health Professional Designations in Ontario

Navigating the mental health landscape in Ontario can be a daunting task, especially when faced with a variety of therapist designations! Our field loves an acronym, from RP, RPQ, MSW, CBT, DBT, oh my! You’re not alone if you feel clueless when it comes to deciphering all of these letters and their meanings.

Whether you're seeking therapy for yourself or a loved one, understanding the differences between the various mental health designations is important for you to know for your own information and also, if you have access to it—for insurance purposes.

Here is a breakdown of the common mental health designations in Ontario that folks tend to see for therapeutic support (Note that this list is not exhaustive and there are other professionals, including Occupational Therapists, Registered Nurses, Child and Youth Care Workers and more!):

1. Registered Psychotherapists (RPs) are mental health professionals trained to provide psychotherapy services. They are regulated by the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO). To become an RP, individuals must complete a master's or doctoral degree in psychotherapy and pass a rigorous licensing process. RPs offer a wide range of therapeutic approaches and can help with various mental health concerns, including anxiety, depression, and relationship issues.

2. Registered Psychotherapist (Qualifying) [RP(Q)] is a designation for individuals who are in the process of completing their supervised training to become fully registered psychotherapists (RP)’s. These therapists have completed their education in psychotherapy but are still gaining clinical experience. They work under the supervision of a fully registered RP or Social Worker. While they are not fully licensed, RP(Q)s can provide valuable therapeutic support and may offer reduced fees.

3. Registered Social Workers (RSW)’s are regulated by the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW). They hold a bachelor's or master's degree in social work and are trained to address social and emotional issues. RSWs can provide counseling and therapy support for individuals, couples, and families. They can work in various settings, including hospitals, schools, and community organizations, and their specialities may not only include counselling and therapy—their expertise and occupations can span: public policy, child protection, government settings, and more! So, it’s important to find one who has direct clinical social work and therapy experience addressing the concerns that have brought you to seek support!

4. Psychologists are highly trained mental health professionals with doctoral degrees in psychology. They are regulated by the College of Psychologists of Ontario (CPO). Psychologists use evidence-based methods to assess and treat a wide range of psychological conditions, such as anxiety, trauma, and personality disorders. They often conduct psychological assessments and may provide therapy services. Psychologists can diagnose mental health disorders and offer specialized treatments. Whereas, psychotherapists and social workers and not able to provide diagnoses.

5. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in mental health. They hold medical degrees and complete additional training in psychiatry. These professionals can diagnose mental health disorders, prescribe medication, and provide psychotherapy. Psychiatrists often work in clinical settings and collaborate with other mental health professionals to provide comprehensive care. Many psychiatric services are covered by OHIP in Ontario

Choosing the Right Therapist

So, how do you choose the right therapist for your needs? Here are some considerations:

Assessment of Needs: Determine the nature of your concerns and the type of therapy or treatment you may require. If you suspect a specific mental health disorder, and are seeking a diagnosis, consulting a psychiatrist or psychologist may be helpful.

Credentials and Experience: Research the therapist's qualifications, experience, and areas of expertise. Look for therapists who have experience in addressing your specific concerns.

Cost and Accessibility: Consider your budget and insurance coverage. Some therapists may offer sliding-scale fees or accept insurance, making therapy more affordable. Always make sure you check in with your insurance company and inquire about what mental health/therapist designations they cover.

Personal Connection: The therapeutic relationship is crucial for successful outcomes. Find a therapist you feel comfortable with and can trust.

Referrals: Seek recommendations from trusted sources, such as friends, family, or healthcare professionals.

Understanding the therapist designations in Ontario is the first step toward finding the right mental health support. Whether you choose an RP, RP(Q), RSW, psychologist, or psychiatrist, the most important factor is finding a therapist who can provide the appropriate care and support for your unique needs, and with whom you can feel safe and comfortable. While it can be a daunting process, we hope that you find the right support to reach out to and connect with to get started on your healing journey.

Click here to meet our therapists!



bottom of page